CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 19, 2010

Cameron Highlands - Day One

Trip to Cameron Highlands


Itinerary for Day 1


Woke up at 6.00am. Tired but geared up for a weekend of FUN!

Left the house in my Perodua Myvi & drove towards Cameron Highlands at 6.30am, using the reviewed, easier way through Simpang Pulai.
Pun Chun Restaurant

Used the North-South Highway and headed all the way following the Ipoh Signboard.

Stopped at Bidor at 8.30 for the famous Duck Drumstick Noodles! Or Herbal Duck Noodle Soup.
Pun Chun Restaurant

Pun Chun Restaurant

Pun Chun Restaurant

Kowloon Hotel


At 9.30 we set off again towards our Highland destination. Exiting Bidor and going all the way straight on the highway till we came to the Simpang Pulai exit.

It took about 1 hour 30 minutes to reach Brinchang Town, where I booked a hotel room. I had surveyed before the trip & decided on Kowloon Hotel as it seemed cheap, accessible and was reviewed to be clean & stay-able.

Kowloon Hotel

It was Okay. Here are some photos of the hotel in case you want to stay there.

I found it hard to find the Kowloon Hotel room photos as there were none at any hotel booking sites. So I made it a resolution to take & upload the photos.

The room cost RM128 (peak season) It is considered cheap, it seems.. I am not sure.

They put us on the 3rd floor, though. The rest had been occupied. Climbing up 3 flights of stairs is not easy for someone who is out of shape! I was panting by the time I reached the top.

There is no air-cons, but the air at night is cold enough. There's water heater in the bathroom though, so it was good enough for me.
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
Kowloon Hotel
After checking in at 11.00 am, I scouted around & took the photos of the hotel then left for our first destination in Camerons.

LUNCH!

The hotel is very near alot of restaurant. So I picked on with the best name.

OK TUCK!
OK TUCK Restaurant

We had fried toufu with mince meat, not bad. I kinda liked it.
OK TUCK Restaurant

And also Kam Heong Pork. Should have probably ordered vegetables since Camerons are famous for fresh vegs, but I doubt that it would taste much different after being fried.
OK TUCK Restaurant

The meal was pleasant enough. ALOT of flies! But I heard that it is normal over there since there is so many farms around. The meal cost RM26 or so, including 1 pot of chinese tea. I was warned that food in Brinchang is terribly expensive, so I went prepared to be shocked. Not cheap, but not too pricey, I think.

The next stop after energizing myself with food was Tanah Rata! I wanted to go to a waterfall to test out the new camera that I was temporary sponsored to use by Tan Electronics, Sony Centre.

So I headed for Robinson Waterfalls.

This place is very near MARDI and hidden in plain sight!!! Driving around, you will NEVER find it. As this is the ONLY signboard I saw.
Robinson Waterfalls

Robinson Waterfalls

I would never have found it if it were not for the locals pointing the way. If you're finding this spot though. A tip is that it is very near MARDI.

I am only uploading a few photos to show the gist of the place.

MORE PHOTOS OF THIS WATERFALL WILL BE UPLOADED IN ANOTHER POST: Cameron Highlands-Robinson Waterfalls
Robinson Watefalls . Robinson Watefalls

Robinsons Waterfall . Robinsons Waterfall

It was such a LONG walk.. and I did not even get to go near to the waterfall!!! Everything was from a distance. Got a few nice close-ups for the flora and insects though. And I manage to see Blackberries along the way into the waterfall. A person had a quaint little house with blackberry plants along the path & sells blackberry jam. I wanted to buy one bottle as I saw about 5 signboards before reaching that house. But it was sold out.. Bummer.

Walked till 3.30pm.. and then decided that I had enough..

Actually, saw a big scary looking spider that fell off its web. Scared me silly, so decided to get out of the place asap!

Decided to stop by a Strawberry farm, I did some research and found out most Strawberry farm was the same & Healthy Strawberry Farm was not bad..

NOT TRUE!!! Healthy strawberry farm was horrible! They did not have anything! fenced up all the strawberry and insisted on RM20 for me to enter to take photos (RM20 is for 1kg of strawberries) I did not want to buy strawberries, I wanted to take pics! They did not allow it.

Just posting one photo here, my advice: Do Not Go There.
Healthy Strawberry Farm

Next was TEA time! I read a lot bout the love tea cafes available in Tanah Rata. So I chose one with the best reviews. T-Cafe. Also or soon to be known as The Lord's Cafe.
T- Cafe, Tanah Rata

T- Cafe, Tanah Rata

Nice enough place. I guess. It was a bad time when I went there. Someone was having a diarrhea or something... TERRIBLE smell. Had to visit the toilet after that person came out. Not a good experience, the toilet would not flush! But when I told the owner, she thanked me for telling her & quickly solved the problem .

I do not want to give this place a bad review or anything.. But I did not find it as enjoyable as the other people who have been there.
T-cafe, The Lord's Cafe - Strawberry scones

Strawberry scones. Usual ones would put strawberry jams with whipped cream, instead of baking it together, so its a specialty even in Camerons. Review for this from a strawberry lover. Mediocre. Had it with hot Cameron Highland grown tea & fresh milk.
T-cafe, The Lord's Cafe - Chicken Pie

I had Chicken Pie & Iced Teh-Tarik. NICE. I think..

Or maybe I was hungry. But good enough overall.This meal cost RM14.

The atmosphere of the place is quite nice. Did not take any photos of the interior though. I was too disturbed by the toilet at that time.

Left the Cafe at about 5.30pm and thought that it was best to head back to the hotel before the famous Pasar Malam (Cameron Highlands Night Market, at Brinchang Town) jam started.

Rested in hotel room for a while, then promptly fell asleep. Too tired from the waterfall hike, I suppose. Woke up at 7.30pm and walked to the Night Market which was about 200 meters away from Kowloon Hotel.

Had loads of food!!!

Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Fried Needle Mushrooms, Steamed Corn, Strawberry Milkshake, Strawberries, Cherry Tomatoes, etc etc...

Too busy shopping and eating to take any photos of the Night Market though.. But it really worth visiting! Should have tried taking night photos with the camera (regretting!!!!) I wonder how it would have turned out..

Coming up tomorrow is Cameron Highlands - Day Two.

Awesome stuff, I promise

__________________________________________________________

FYI.

Photos in this blog was taken on a Sony Alpha DLSR 550 (Kit Lens)
Camera
Photo was edited in Photoshop CS3
Photoshop classes provided by WebWeaver Learning Centre
Resolution of the photos are at 300 pixels X 200 pixels for easy loading.
__________________________________________________________
Please respect that this blog is written on my own opinion
and any rude comments WILL NEVER see the light of day, here.
You may post it on your own space if you absolutely need to.

0 comments: